2009-08-08

Not Funny

I was thinking of my good friend Matt (yo, dude) because Matt’s a bit of an Adam Sandler fan, and for the very first time ever in my life, i saw an Adam Sandler film today.

I don't mean "for the very first time ever in my life, i saw an Adam Sandler film in the theater”, or “i paid to see an Adam Sandler film" (though both are true in this case). I mean i've managed to avoid seeing any other Adam Sandler film up to now, in any form. (Though i admit, it was touch and go for You Don't Mess With the Zohan. I suspect the trailer was probably better, though.)

Funny People would have been a better film if it had a) been about actual people, which is to say, characters; and b) been funny. Based on how much of the film appears to be improvised, i’m half-guessing that the process by which this thing came together was one of those scenarios where everybody comes up with random bits of outrageous humor and crazy sight gags and things they’ve always wanted to do on film but never had the chance and they all say “Hey, we can pull all these disparate bits together and it’ll make a cool story!”

Actually, no. No, it won’t.

I’m a very-late-to-the-party huge fan of Freaks and Geeks, which does a better job transcribing my own life to film story than i ever could. But i haven’t seen a single other thing that has Judd Apatow’s name anywere near it that could hold my interest for a full two hours. It’s weird how someone can demonstrate such an incredible grasp of subtle character story, and then lose all apparent interest in telling character story. I’d love to be that much of a failure someday, if only to be able to prove to myself that i was that successful at some point previously.